[Piuparts-devel] setting priority of sections

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Sat Nov 26 14:33:10 UTC 2011

Hi Dave,

On Samstag, 26. November 2011, Dave Steele wrote:
> Here is a candidate patch that does this, if you replace the word
> 'section' with 'state'.

while I applaud your patch in principle, I dont like this. I really would like
to be able to absolutly prioritize main over non-free no matter how well non-
free is tested. And then, main over bpo over contrib over non-free... :)

And then the states...

> This version will test only 'waiting' packages if there are any.
> Otherwise, it will process failed logs over a threshold age. After
> that, 'successful' logs are rerun.

Does it handle replacement of logs? I have to admit I didnt look at the diff
closely yet :)

> 1) There is much downloading/parsing of the Packages file, and
> recalculating package states going on. Both are expensive.

For the first problem, we should fix really fix proxy support :) (It's broken
currently, try it... not sure if there is a bug.)

For the 2nd, well, it's slightly inevitable and then I also dont think those
1-2min hurt that much.

> 2) The master process doesn't like package state changes it didn't
> cause. There are opportunities for race conditions with multiple
> slaves/master processes, which would need to be worked out.

There should always only be one master...

How do you cause rescheduling? The best is really to just delete the log.

Probably best to move this to a wishlist bug in the BTS.