[Piuparts-devel] Piuparts state-dependency-failed-testing analysis

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon Oct 31 19:20:25 UTC 2011

Hi Scott, Dave,

first of all, Dave, thanks for your bug report and also the state-dependency-
failed-testing analysis - I will reply to that hopefully soon. Just one short
remark: I wrote such a script too, just haven't had time to polish it and
include in the website results :)

Anyway...

On Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2011, Scott Schaefer wrote:
> Wow.   ** IF ** I am analyzing this correctly, there is really nothing
> wrong with dependencies of libreadline6; this is in fact a "bug" in
> piuparts (or more appropriately, a "bug" in the operational policies of
> how piuparts is run) ...

yeah. though it's rather hard to determine automatically, when a base.tgz
needs updating...

And so far, I have refrained from doing this often, as often the recreation
failed (just because sid was broken that day...) and piuparts was without a
usable base.tgz.

Now there is code to savely recreate the base.tgz and I have changed the
configuration to recreate the base.tgz's every seven days... and noticed:

the code to trigger recreation is buggy, the base.tgz's are 5 months old..!!!

For now I've deleted them manually, thus forcing recreation.

I've also deleted 163 failed logs (containing the string "libtinfo5") in sid,
thus forcing re-tests of them.

> 3) piuparts did not execute dpkg --remove/--purge libreadline6 because
> it was already installed in the original chroot.tar.gz image file [per
> original dpkg --get-selections].  However, the version in the
> chroot.tar.gz was 6.2.2, which had no Depends -> libtinfo5.  Thus,
> libtinfo5 was not in the chroot.tar.gz image -- it was thus installed,
> and an attempt was made to remove/purge it as part of testing of the
> libreadline6 package.

Thats correct.

> In summary, this is really a consequence of the operational tradeoff of
> the frequency of regenerating the chroot.tar.gz image.   I think
> piuparts.d.o has this set to 30 days; perhaps this should be changed to
> 7 or even 3-4 ??

Yeah, maybe less than seven.