[Piuparts-devel] EDOS file overwrite check between distributions?

Andreas Beckmann debian at abeckmann.de
Thu Feb 2 12:33:55 UTC 2012

Hi Ralf,

On 2012-01-30 18:11, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 01:11:49PM +0100, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
>> Is it possible to do your EDOS check also between distributions to catch
>> all possible upgrade issues that involve file overwrites? piuparts only
>> detects the problems if the packages are linked by some depndency
>> (usually a file was moved intentionally and the old location Depends on
>> the new one, but a proper versioned Breaks/Replaces was forgotten). I
>> think there are some cases where piuparts may not find this problem,
>> e.g. if a transitional package is missing.

I think we just had such a problem in #debian-next: #658056 that was not
detected by piuparts.

> A priori yes, and in fact this has already been suggested earlier. The main
> problem was, if I remember right, that it was not completely clear to me
> what sequence of install and update requests exactely should be tested.
> You are right that this should be done, thanks for reminding me of that.
> I hope to have some time to work on this after FOSDEM.

That will probably need some experimentation, but that can only be done
with some candidate pairs.

    oldpackaage=oldversion/olddist newpackage=newversion/newdist

newpackage that has Replaces but not Breaks on (that particular version
of) oldpackage needs to be included as candidate, as this will probably
fail the install_a-install_b-purge_b test.

> I think that in the long run we should think about integrating our
> efforts, that is build a combined tool that uses edos-distrcheck to
> filter out the interesting test cases, and then piuparts to do the
> actual installation tests.

That sounds sensible.

>> Another question, when doing installation tests, do you also check that
>> co-installable packages behave sanely and the second one that gets
>> installed does not break the first one in a way that leaves the first
>> installed in an unusable state after the second is removed? (i.e.
>> forgotten diversion, disappeared files, ...)

> Interesting idea. At the moment this is not done, but this would be
> useful.

The testing is probably something that can be implemented with piuparts,
the candidates would have to be supplied by edos.

I think, we could do this even with current piuparts - we will need a
script that drives the test anyway and that can create a post_setup_...
script that will install package A (so piuparts will consider it as part
of the chroot) and thereafter piuparts tests package B.
Do you have the list of file sharing candidates generated by EDOS
available somewhere?

> Are you coming to FOSDEM? That would probably be the easiest way to

No. I wish you a nice weekend there.