[Piuparts-devel] RE : mass bug filing of 'deluser/delgroup: command not found' errors detected by piuparts

Lars Wirzenius liw at liw.fi
Thu Feb 2 17:55:22 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 05:09:42PM +0000, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> > We had a conversation (here I think) last year about whether programs
> > should be trying to automatically remove users in their postrm.  IIRC
> > the conclusion of that discussion the answer was that they should not,
> > at least in the default case.
>
> > We should double check this, before you submit your MBF, so that
> > nformation about what to do can be included in your bug report.
>
> > In particular, I think this is the wrong advice because IMO the
> > correct fix is not to call any of these tools from postrm purge.

The relevant bug is this:

And I agree with Ian's summary: system users should be created, but
not removed.

> In that case you got his kind of piuparts error [1], if you did not
> remove the homedir of the previously added user.
>
> What is the right fice for this ?

The proper way to fix this is to change piuparts to not complain
about home directories that belong to system users created during
the package install.

--
Freedom-based blog/wiki/web hosting: http://www.branchable.com/