[Piuparts-devel] EDOS file overwrite check between distributions?

Andreas Beckmann debian at abeckmann.de
Sat Feb 25 11:57:10 UTC 2012

Hi Ralf,

as we can now merge contents files from one distribution - how about the
original idea of checking sid vs. wheezy?

And similarily we should also have the possibility to check the contents
files from multiple architectures at the same time - thanks to multiarch
there are now much much packages coinstallable, and I'm sure we'll find
something like

  /usr/foo/bar   foo:i386,bar:amd64

in the archive.

Just some ideas how this might work:

* Preprocess Changes + Packages to generate something like

    /path/to/file	package1[:arch][/distro][=version],...

* Merge multiple of these preprocessed files, will produce the same
output format

* check for package collisions by only looking at the package part

* if collisions are found, report sensible pairs

    # conflict within a distribution
    package1/distro=version1 package2/distro=version2
    # cross-distribution conflicts (omit, if there is the same conflict
    # within the newest distribution)
    package1/distro1=version1 package2/distro2=version2

(The version information is useful for incremental checks to only retest
if a package has changed.)

For cross-architecture tests we should define a priority of the
architectures and for a typical conflicting pair
    package1:[arch1a arch1b arch1c] package2:[arch2a arch2b]
only report the high-priority pair, e.g.

    package1:arch5 package2:arch3

I don't think we will need to do cross-distribution and cross-arch
checks at the same time right now (but eventually for wheezy -> wheezy+1
updates?).

Hmm, well, looks like we should import Packages and Contents into a
database and query that. :-)