[Piuparts-devel] EDOS file overwrite check between distributions?

Andreas Beckmann debian at abeckmann.de
Wed Feb 29 15:35:55 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-27 18:54, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> OK :-) For that I will have to extend my test candidate generator.
... multiple package universes ...
> I'll start working on the script.

Should we put these scripts into some repository?

>> And similarily we should also have the possibility to check the contents
>> files from multiple architectures at the same time - thanks to multiarch
>> there are now much much packages coinstallable, and I'm sure we'll find
>> something like
>
> I would like to wait a bit with multiarch. The reason is that the

OK. IIRC, somebody else already did 'M-A: same' co-installability tests
to discover the much more common problem of having files with same name
but different content.
And cross-arch file-overwrite errors (that do not appear also
intra-arch) are probably much less common.

How often do the Contents files get updated?

Even if installation tests can't be performed automatically, the
following may be useful, too:
* whenever the contents files are updated, save a copy of them together
with the Packages file(s)
* detect possible overwrite problems between the current and the
previous snapshot (usually files moved around or packages renamed with
insufficient Breaks/Replaces)
* report the difference between the current and the previous report
(primarily package pairs that newly appeared)