[Piuparts-devel] protocol changes for idle and arch (was: Re: for review: preview/compute-urls)

Dave Steele dsteele at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:01:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Andreas Beckmann <debian at abeckmann.de> wrote:
> new protocol:
> Master either says
>  << hello
> or
>  << idle $N
> if the slave should retry later.

Funny you should mention that...

I have an implementation of a retest manager in git:

    https://github.com/davesteele/piuparts/commits/retest-manager

It adds idle state to master, for central monitoring of the overall
system idle state. A new reschedule_oldest_logs monitors for this
sections-wide idle, and deletes logs according to Holger's algorithm
when it sees it.

I haven't brought it forward on develop, because there are a couple of
areas of contention with work that Andreas has been doing, in sleep
idle processing and in the configuration file. The integration
strategy needs some discussion.

To start, I used "idle" instead of "idle $N". That should make for a
simpler slave, and avoid a thundering herd of connections to master.