[Piuparts-devel] more on distributed testing and protocols...

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon Jun 4 13:30:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

from irc:

<Mithrandir> the slaves are ephemereal, right?
<h01ger> dict ephemereal
<Mithrandir> don't contain any state
<Mithrandir> and so, if provisioning is cheap, we could run them off tmpfs?
<h01ger> temp. state on disk. they do all the work, actually running piuparts
<h01ger> yes
<h01ger> they send logs every so and so (between 1m and 3h) to the master
<h01ger>
http://piuparts.debian.org/doc/README.html#_distributed_piuparts_testing_protocol
<h01ger> so ssh is needed between master and slaves
<Mithrandir> h01ger: so worst case you lose 3 hours worth of runtime for a
shutdown, then?
<h01ger> yap
<h01ger> hrm, actually thats not the case currently. after max 3h a section
run (=a distro to be tested) is over but the logs are only sent at the
beginning of the next run of that section, which can be days (or, with current
load, even weeks) later

we should fix this - esp. as there are plans to virtualize piatti.debian.org
in the cause of this year... and now also to run it with several slaves ;)