[Piuparts-devel] Fwd: Fwd: rescheduling broken

Dave Steele dsteele at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 15:39:46 UTC 2013

<wrong email address again.>

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Andreas Beckmann <anbe at debian.org> wrote:

> On 2013-03-26 23:51, Dave Steele wrote:
> > There's an old candidate solution, from last June, that guarantees
> > rescheduling only when all sections are idle:
> >
> > https://github.com/davesteele/piuparts/blob/cbc994aeee7fcdd1a9728d4518e97a2fca05b355/master-bin/reschedule_oldest_logs
>
> scanning for reschedulable logs is an expensive operation, that cannot
> be run every five minutes (from my memory when I last looked at that branch)

It needs to run often, but it reschedules rarely. Typical operation is
a quick exit after testing for all sections idle and unlocked. If it
does have to do any processing, it is only when the system is
otherwise idle.

I advocated it last June because it is a step towards consolidating
master logic across sections. If you're concerned about optimization,
that is a path to take.

Wait, reschedule scanning is expensive? Relative to
_compute_package_states()? Every master run pulls the needed directory
listings into RAM buffers.