[Piuparts-devel] Pending mass bug filing for broken symlinks detected by piuparts

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Sat Jun 1 23:32:48 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-01 18:21, Dave Steele wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Holger Levsen <holger at layer-acht.org> wrote:
>> btw, I noticed "but logfile contains 'broken symlinks': 16818 passed" on
>> sid-nodoc today which IMO makes this link totally useless...

Do you rather want the complement?
  grep -L "broken symlink" *.log

> Not 'totally'. Looking at the list, the packages look familiar. With
> --fail-on-broken-symlinks, I'd expect the list to on the order of the
> size of my sid list.

Let me add some statistics as well, I have been running sid-bl for a while:
sid main --warn-on-leftovers-after-purge --fail-on-broken-symlinks
failed-testing: 591
  thereof broken symlinks: 31 bugged, 2 affected, 507 failed
    (the bugged/affected ones have other problems, too, that have been
     filed, no broken symlinks are filed so far)
dependency-failed-testing: 3922

> The resulting dependency-failed-testing list, on the other hand... But
> shouldn't flagging symlinks be part of the purpose of sid-nodoc?
sid-nodoc has absolutely nothing to do with broken symlinks

> Fixing about three packages would bring the sid and sid-nodoc issue
> lists within striking distance of each other.
???
Due to different --warn-on-leftovers-after-purge settings these two are
not easily comparable.

> I'm not proposing that sid-nodoc be considered for the d-d discussion
> at this time.

nobody wants to discuss about this :-)

>> For the ones debian-devel at l.d.o agreed to have them filed as serious, I think
>> failing the piuparts test is appropriate.

not sure what you mean here ...

> So we need to do something to elevate broken symlinks before the
> discussion. Do we want to invoke #615034, or create a special rule for
> failing /usr/lib broken symlinks?

we need to dissect the list to know how to proceed :-)

>> And I'd do two threads on the devel list: one about some broken symlinks
>> becoming serious bugs now (and mass bug filing on that) and another, about the
>> mass bug filing about broken symlinks as normal bugs.

sounds sensible