[Piuparts-devel] reviewed some more of Dave's branches

Dave Steele dsteele at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 17:04:07 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 5:20 AM, Andreas Beckmann <anbe at debian.org> wrote:
> eliminate-tango-symlinks
>
> * the copied files will probably need to be cleaned up in postrm
>
> require-tango-symlinks
>
> * please leave the trailing comma after "r-recommended,"
>   reduces this diff and the diff for future additions
>
> these two should probably go into one branch with require-tango-symlinks
> first and eliminate-tango-symlinks second
>
> this should be scheduled for 0.50

Ok - will work it.

> -------------------------
>
> qa-list
>
> * patch #4 should be split+folded into #1 and #2

Yes. This branch is work-in-progress.

> * I don't like the one-file-for-everything approach as it is hard to
> extend, instead I'd create one file per distro and area
> * this needs to be coordinated with the PTS maintainers

The goal of the branch is piuparts integration into the tables on the
Packages Overview pages (does that make it a PTS thing?-don't know).
It is modeled on the lintian mechanism:

    http://lintian.debian.org/qa-list.txt
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/01/msg00000.html
(under Improvements section)

Extensibility may not be considered a feature here.

On this topic, I figure that we work at the pleasure of whomever
maintains the QA websites in question. This could lead to multiple
files for consumption in different places  (Overview, PTS, ...). My
personal preference would be a REST API, but that doesn't look to be
in the cards.

Any ideas on how I should start the conversation? The websites in
question seem short on meta-information. Is my first step a discussion
request on debian-qa?