[Piuparts-devel] piuparts squeeze->wheezy [i386] tests

Michael Gilbert mgilbert at debian.org
Sun May 5 21:34:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Julien asked me about running piuparts tests for i386 (especially for
> the multiarch-support libc6 dependency) ... I patched piuparts a bit to
> support doing this on an amd64 host and started running distupgrade
> tests now. squeeze2wheezy --with-recommends for amd64 took 5 days, so
> this here (without recommends) should be faster. 27500 binary packages
> to go ... :-)

Hi Andreas,

On a related topic, have you thought about possibly integrating
piuparts.debian.org into britney's testing transition decision making
logic?

Looking only at your bug page [0] (not taking into account other
people doing piuparts bug reporting), there were almost 200 bugs
submitted with serious severity for wheezy, and almost all of them
were piuparts related (an non-rigorous count gives about 20 were not).

I wonder if there isn't a huge opportunity to avoid a vast majority of
these issues for the upcoming cycle by automatically keeping them out
of jessie?

There were around 500 rc bugs at the freeze, and that number went up
and down a lot, so lets conservatively estimate the total number of rc
bugs handled during the freeze at 1,000.  If the piuparts ones were
automatically prevented from affecting testing, that would be a 20%
reduction in the total work required to get the release done.

Finally, over the past 5 years (since piuparts bug tagging started in
earnest), there have been over 1,100 rc bugs tagged piuparts [1].
That's enormous.  Automatically keeping all of those out of testing
would be a huge win.

So, I wonder if you have interest in working on this?  The sooner it
gets started, the more rc issues there are that can be kept out of
jessie from the start.  I also may be able to find some time to help.

Best wishes,
Mike

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;include=severity%3Aserious;submitter=anbe%40debian.org
[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=piuparts;users=debian-qa@lists.debian.org&archive=both