[Piuparts-devel] [rt.debian.org #4287] a new hope^wpiatti for piuparts.debian.org

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon May 6 08:12:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Montag, 6. Mai 2013, Tollef Fog Heen via RT wrote:
> > http://piratenpad.de/p/piatti-wishlist has a hw wishlist discussion for
> > the new piatti/piuparts setup.
> It seems to lack anything about memory and CPU, though?

piuparts mostly does IO, so the fastest single core cpu is what we need for a
slave. (master is a webserver static files, most of the time. or also doing iO
mostly.)

ram wise, the more the better, so we can do installations fully in a ramdisk
(except for those rare cases which need a chroot > 2gb)

> > Besides the questions of hardware-specs and how many slaves we can have,
> > the most pressing question IMO is how to install piuparts. From git or
> > via packages. And if packages, where would those come from?
> packages sounds like a good idea in general.  Would it be a problem to
> just run the packages from unstable / backports?

back in the days when we set up piatti initially, weasel didnt like to install
from packages, thats how we got here.

packages from unstable I could live with. official backports rather not so.
and I guess I could also live with backports prepared for stable-backports,
but just not uploaded as they havent migrated to testing yet.

(we are only talking about the piuparts source package here. no other
packages.)

> > So, how do we proceed from here?
> Finalise specs, set up master VM, set up slave VMs, test, decommission
> piatti?

sounds good :-)

thanks,