[Piuparts-devel] [rt.debian.org #4287] a new hope^wpiatti for piuparts.debian.org

Tollef Fog Heen via RT rt at rt.debian.org
Mon May 6 11:38:45 UTC 2013

]] "Holger Levsen via RT"

> On Montag, 6. Mai 2013, Tollef Fog Heen via RT wrote:
> > > http://piratenpad.de/p/piatti-wishlist has a hw wishlist discussion for
> > > the new piatti/piuparts setup.
> > It seems to lack anything about memory and CPU, though?
>
> piuparts mostly does IO, so the fastest single core cpu is what we need for a
> slave. (master is a webserver static files, most of the time. or also doing iO
> mostly.)

Ok, so one core per slave and master.  Check.

> ram wise, the more the better, so we can do installations fully in a ramdisk
> (except for those rare cases which need a chroot > 2gb)

I doubt that, we have machines with 128GB RAM and I doubt you're able to
use that effectively.  So, the question still stands, what do you need,
rather than what would be nice to have?  We can change it later if it
turns out you actually need more.

> > > Besides the questions of hardware-specs and how many slaves we can have,
> > > the most pressing question IMO is how to install piuparts. From git or
> > > via packages. And if packages, where would those come from?
> > packages sounds like a good idea in general.  Would it be a problem to
> > just run the packages from unstable / backports?
>
> back in the days when we set up piatti initially, weasel didnt like to install
> from packages, thats how we got here.
>
> packages from unstable I could live with. official backports rather not so.
> and I guess I could also live with backports prepared for stable-backports,
> but just not uploaded as they havent migrated to testing yet.

If weasel has opinions about running it from packages vs git, then
that's fine with me.

--
Tollef Fog Heen