[Piuparts-devel] [rt.debian.org #4287] a new hope^wpiatti for piuparts.debian.org

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Sun May 12 15:57:30 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Montag, 6. Mai 2013, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> From a piuparts developer POV I'm clearly in favor of running from git.
> Configuration should live in git, and that may even change more
> frequently that the code itself - and that has been changing very
> frequently recently :-)
>
> For using packages (even if it's only git snapshots being packaged and
> installed on piatti), there should be another instance to test them
> before they get installed for production. Otherwise every trivial bug
> found on piatti will require a package iteration ... which essentially
> makes it no different from running directly from git.

yup, after having thought about this a bit more I also want to keep running
piuparts.d.o from git. On both the master as well as the slave node.

I will start deploying piuparts on pejacevic.d.o now and then report back.

> The good thing is running from git does not really require writes to
> /usr. And we can easily change the setup to not require root for
> installing from git (and doing the install separately for slave and
> master) after an initial (one-time) setup of the /etc/piuparts symlink ...

yup.

> For installing dependencies I'd create two additional packages that are

for that, DSA use git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/mirror/debian.org.git - grep
for piuparts in debian/control there.

> For deploying more slaves than just a primary slave

Since ganeti, which is used for managing the cluster, can only provide amd64
systems, we will only use one slave (system) for rather a long time. But on
that we can run several piuparts slaves, eg two for a start.

> PS: can we shorten /srv/piuparts.debian.org to /srv/piuparts ?

to save a bit typing sometimes? or what else for?