[Piuparts-devel] simplifying running piuparts

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Tue May 21 12:58:17 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-21 13:27, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le mardi, 21 mai 2013 12.35:47, Ondřej Surý a écrit :
>> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Holger Levsen <holger at layer-acht.org>
> wrote:
>>> have an option to run piuparts automatically by debuild, after or before
>>> lintian.

that means we need a driver script that accepts a .changes file and
creates a local repository and runs piuparts package by package

>> Also integrate it with git-pbuilder/pbuilder/cowbuilder to run
>> piuparts inside the created clean(ish) chroot, so it's less time
>> consuming.

does not easily work for upgrade tests from testing or stable

> Actually, doing it in sbuild (and hence hypothetically on the buildds) would
> be awesome:
>  - deinstall build-depends
>  - install previous version (+ dependencies),
that part might fail ... but it should abort and *not* fail the test (to
fix the broken (uninstallable) package in sid)
>   then upgrade
>  - remove
>  - purge
>  - …

As above, the build chroot is not suitable for doing upgrade tests from
testing or stable.

> A failure at each of these stages could fail the build.
>
> (The problem becomes tricky with source packages building mutually-
> incompatible binary packages).

Only for passing the .changes to piuparts.
If we create a driver script that takes a .changes, creates a local
repository and runs piuparts on each built package in turn, this will
work well. (It will require the arch:all packages to be available if
this was a binary-only build)
I consider the package-by-package testing as a much better test than
installing all the packages at once because it can discover much more
dependency issues - and it much closer resembles what is being run on
piuparts.d.o