[Piuparts-devel] starting slaves manually (was: Re: RFC: feature/slave-manpages)

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Mon May 27 16:18:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-27 17:59, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Montag, 27. Mai 2013, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
>> I see at least these ways how slaves can be started:
>>
>> * all, in a new screen
>> * a specific one, in a specified screen slot in a (running) screen
>>   (that is difficult or nearly impossible)
>> * append one to a (running) screen using a "random" slot (that is
>> easier, but may cause several slaves to run in a tree, but no harm due
>> to locking)
>> * start slave in the current directory in the current shell in foreground
>
> = which can be running in a screen session (manually) :)
>
> Actually that last feature is the most important one to me currently.

probably the possibility I use but didn't mention:

  [SLAVENO=$SLOT] some-script-to-start-a-slave [sections]...

* start slave in slave-directory from piuparts.conf regardless of $PWD
using $SLOT (default 0) and run in foreground

but it should be possible to change this to

  [SLAVENO=$SLOT] some-script-to-start-a-slave [$SLOT] [sections]...

assuming we restrict ourselves not to use section names matching

suggestions for naming some-script-to-start-a-slave welcome (may include
renaming slave_run)

some-script-to-start-a-slave 0
^A^C
some-script-to-start-a-slave 1 my-experiment-42
^A^C
some-script-to-start-a-slave
# uups, starts another one in slot 0, but not a big problem