[Piuparts-devel] Pending mass bug filing for broken symlinks detected by piuparts

Dave Steele dsteele at gmail.com
Fri May 31 23:54:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Andreas Beckmann <anbe at debian.org> wrote:

> How many broken links are there in total?

~2100

> Can you add a list of broken symlinks? Proposed format:
>
>   package: /path/to/link -> /non/existing/target

To this notice? Not recommended at first blush - they typicaly won't
fit on one line, making the email 30-50 pages longer.

Though, see the reply to Holger for why we may do it anyway.

>> The initial bug reports will be based on this template:
>
> Please add the Pseudo-Header paragraph, too (i.e. usertags etc). Do you
> plan to use an additional usertag for these bugs?

See reply to Holger for proposed. No additional usertags.

> Also for the bugs being filed, please include the list of broken symlinks.

Yes, the template has a <symlinks> place keeper for that.

> Maybe already include one broken link (or a pattern) in the subject.

Not recommended. They tend to be long.

> How do you want to handle source packages with several binary packages
> having broken links?
> I'd suggest filing only one bug:
>
> Package: binary1,binary2,binary3
> Version: 0.8-15
>
> and list the broken links per binary package

Not my preference. If I tagged right, such problems, if they are in
multiple binaries, are being caused independently. Better to tag them
independently, to make sure all get fixed. If you look at the
maintainer list, there aren't a lot of significant examples in there.