[Piuparts-devel] pull: for-holger - lets start work on 0.57

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Tue Jan 21 13:39:27 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-21 13:44, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
>>> ah, so mention#274229 in our debian/changelog too?   .
>> that is not really helpful. just extended the log message a bit
>
> you have a typo there, s#the change#that change# and I still like to see
> #274229 mentioned somehow. (Probabky because I'm a bit unhappy about base-
both fixed
> passwd poluting /etc with files with a non-standard suffix... I wonder if
> .dpkg-dist would be more appropriate...)

That backup file has been created in the initial base-passwd
installation. But since it never got updated, noone noticed. With the
new base-passwd, it actually creates a new backup overwriting the old
one (probably only if something has added/changed something there
inbetween) so this shows up in piuparts as modified ... all other passwd
and backups are already being ignored

>> Andreas Beckmann (3):
>>       lib/db: load_alternate_versions_from_packages_urls(): new method
>>       p-m,p-r: use load_alternate_versions_from_packages_urls()
>>       p: ignore backup files from base-passwd
>>
>> the first two are fixup for Ivo's patch, master didn't break, but report
>> just started to run with this change ... so untested whether it really
>> works as intended :-)
>
> wouldnt it be better to report the upgraded_from version for unupgradable
> packages instead of None? I can see how this is an improvement, but is it
> really the best solution?

Actually I'd like to use a version sequence, that would contain much
more information, but will require a lot of changes.
Right now "None" is a very clear marker that I don't want to miss. At
least for the logfiles, I rarely look at the source summary and never
looked at the source version number, otherwise I might have noticed this
myself :-)