[Piuparts-devel] piuparts for jessie

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Sun Nov 23 00:41:04 UTC 2014

On Freitag, 21. November 2014, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> > its not broken, or? which bugs do you consider as blocker / must fixes?
> testing should be testing, at least as long as jessie==stable
> Or we should *not* ship that alias enabled in a stable release.

hm, right.

so that would probably mean maintaining two branches now and for some time. I
cannot say I like this idea - but I don't see any other. Do you?

> > I fear there is probably too much in the develop branch already to get a
> > freeze exception.
>
> I think the init system related things could only be done properly after
> that had settled ...
> Then there is syncing with adequate in jessie ...
> There is only one feature (post_chroot_unpack) which at least did not
> break piuparts.d.o in a few thousand packages.

I agree.

> That's fine for future development, but at least the initial version
> should be working reliably with the default init change and the default
> settings.

point taken.

> added a blocking bug ...

it's been fixed in experimental now and the next step should be pre-approval
for uploading it to sid... (IIRC but I think I do)

> > distro-info, like it's now done for ubuntu (in piuparts since 0.60,
> > iirc), should be used.
>
> patches welcome, I'm too lazy to learn distro-info and would just
> s/jessie/stretch/
> (would distro-info allow for a timely switch in sid?)

it's really trivial: 5c5a5c5d35fca635a36794e8d59894fa360d00d7

> > I think that's what gathered the idea to enable --scripts by default...
>
> Maybe I should try this way of invoking piuparts, too :-)
> (without --scripts) Any suggestions which packages to test?
>
> If we turn on some scripts by default, we should provide a
> --no-defaultscripts option.

yes.