[Piuparts-devel] Future group maintenance of debsums?

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Mon Jan 19 02:08:53 UTC 2015

Dear Ryan and Anders,

despite dpkg has grown it's own variant of debsums ("dpkg --verify"),
debsums has become an essential part of many systems as well as of
piuparts and hence of Debian's QA tool-chain.

But the last four uploads (if your count stable-updates and currently
pending uploads) of debsums were NMUs. Last April, in #744398 at
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=744398#72 and the
following messages, the piuparts team (Cc'ed) was concerned about the
state of debsums and it has been shortly discussed if debsums should
be force-orphaned.

One idea during the discussion was to maintain debsums under the
umbrella of Debian Perl Group (Cc'ed, too) in the future. Ryan is
already a member of the Debian Perl Group and hence would be able to
continue to work on debsums without any action in that case. Anders
would need to apply for a Debian Perl Group membership first, but
there's no reason why that shouldn't be granted.

During testing my just uploaded debsums NMU I noticed a bunch of
lintian warnings, which I'd like to fix. So I remembered the topic of
finding new/additional maintainers for debsums.

So I herewith officially ask you, Ryan and Anders, if it's ok to move
debsums' maintenance and development under the umbrella of the Debian
Perl Group. I'd keep you both as Uploaders and would add myself as
Uploader, too.

(Since there was no feedback to my debsums NMUs, I'll consider it a
"yes" if I don't get any feedback from you within a month or before
the release of Jessie, whichever comes first.)

I'm though open to discuss other forms of maintenance which include a
bigger number of maintainers, e.g. continuing the maintenance under
collab-maint but with more Uploaders.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin