[Piuparts-devel] piuparts blocking testing migration

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Fri Dec 16 22:38:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

I must have missed the memo, but according to

https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=ircd-hybrid

this package is not migrating because of a piuparts failure.
In fact, the failure is not caused by irc-hybrid directly, but because
of this bug in openssl:

It doesn't seem appropriate for this issue to block migration of
a package which uses openssl (I'm not even sure why this behaviour
is in violation of the FHS, although, although I can see why it is
a problem in the context of maintainer scripts). And there doesn't seem
to be any plan to do anything with that bug before stretch is released.

What to do? It seems that the testing blocker needs to be smarter
about issues which are actually related to the package, or at least
for there to be a way to request an exception. Even better, reverting
to the idea of having manual review of piuparts output and then filing
RC bugs if appropriate seemed better, although maybe it was too much
work for people, which I do understand.

However at the moment people's packages risk being outdated in testing
for completely spurious reasons and maintainers not being told about
them. I only noticed this by chance.

Cheers,
Dominic.