[Piuparts-devel] Missing depends on lsb-base, need your help

Santiago Vila sanvila at unex.es
Thu Oct 6 16:27:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 05:29:25PM +0200, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> On 2016-10-06 15:50, Santiago Vila wrote:
> >> I'd prefer debootstrap creating such a minimal chroot by default over
> >> "cleaning the chroot" in piuparts.
> >
> > I would also prefer debootstrap creating minimal chroots by default,
> > but that's not what's happening at this moment,
>
> Bug #?

Good question :-)

> Unfortunately debootstrap --exclude=lsb-base does not work :-(

This is probably because debootstrap seems to always install
Priority:required packages no matter what. That particular issue is
reported here:

(The natural workaround for that would be to remove the package after
running debootstrap).

I also found another report asking for a way to create smaller
chroots:

And then there is also a general discussion about what should be
installed by default here:

> Anything else that could/should be excluded from a minimal (sid) chroot
> by default?

Taking "minbase" as a starting point, lsb-base and tzdata are
candidates to be excluded.

I tried excluding lsb-base myself for my builds, but since I'm still
using traditional chroots (with schroot), when I find a package with a
missing depends on lsb-base, it breaks my chroot and I have to restore
after a lot of failed builds that happen afterwards.

(This is one of the reasons I ask you for help on this)

Thanks.