[Piuparts-devel] renaming …222… to …22…

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Wed Apr 19 12:46:12 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 01:08:29PM +0200, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> >> Do we also want to do upgrades *skipping* testing?
> > No. piuparts is a policy checker, upgrades skipping a release are not supported…
> > (And yes, you suggested a subtile difference… so maybe the answer is
> > rather: "maybe later".)
> skipping testing will show false positives,
> but (whatever2)stable2sid might also catch some things that would be
> broken by having the sid package migrate to testing, even if
> stable2testing and testing2sid worked fine before the migration
> (yes, that has happened before)

I now see how that can make sense, thanks.

However I think our "collection of suites being tested" is already quite
large and probably too confusing; having only a short line of explaination
per suite is also not helping…

That said, we do have the computational ressources to add more suites
and if we can use automatisation to prevent more bugs, I'm always for it.

> for britney integration stable2sid might not be suitable for blocking,
> but maybe for delaying the migration to 10? 15? days to allow someone to
> analyze it and file an RC bug (or piuparts-ignore it)

I guess we should ask the release team about this :) stable2sid by itself also
sounds much more understandable to me than (whatever2)stable2sid :)