[Piuparts-devel] RFC: getting a shell in the piuparts environment

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Mon Jan 16 11:10:38 UTC 2017

On 2016-05-02 10:45, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 09:17:34AM +0200, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
>> in branch preview/enter you can find a patch to get an interactive shell
>> in the piuparts chroot for debugging a failure
>
> nice!
>
>> command line parameter is open for discussion
>>
>> this is run from Chroot.remove(), and rather useless if called after a
>> successful test or after creating the reference chroot for a
>> dist-upgrade test, but it's helpful if called during the execution of
>> the panic handler. I don't know how to properly distinguish these two
>> cases though. (it could be --enter-on-error in that case instead)

it's now run from the panic hook or before chroot removal, but not any
more for the reference chroot

> I like --enter-on-error or --shell-on-error better than just --enter.

--shell-on-error

>> does not work if piuparts is run under timeout
>
> this limitations should be explained in the manpage and README.

      p: add --shell-on-error option
      p.conf: increase timeout to 85 minutes

if you want to add a chapter about debugging failures to the readme,
feel free to do so

while writing the documentation for --shell-on-error I noticed that
increasing the timeout in the slave does not help if the config is not
adjusted as well ...