[Piuparts-devel] correctly pass --extra-package debs to piuparts

Johannes Schauer josch at debian.org
Sun Aug 5 13:53:36 BST 2018

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your quick reply!

Quoting Andreas Beckmann (2018-08-05 14:34:11)
> On 2018-08-05 13:57, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I see no easy way to achieve the same with piuparts. How does
> > one pass extra packages to piuparts? --extra-old-packages seems to be the wrong
> > choice. Is the only way to do this by creating a new apt repository with all
> > additional .deb packages and pass that to piuparts via --extra-repo?
> Yes. That's the only way to make them available to apt. If you would
> give optional .deb files to piuparts, we would just copy them, make a
> repo locally and use that.

I would've expected that piuparts would support the latter. It would be more
convenient to the user if piuparts would take care of creating the repo than
the user having to do it themselves. That's also how sbuild and autopkgtest do
it when the user gives them extra debs. Neither of those two requires the user
to do the repo setup themselves.

> All you need to provide is a local directory with all the .debs and a
> Packages file in there. Does not need to be signed or have a Release file or
> anything fancy.

Oh? Does that mean that apt can now use a plain directory without a Release
file using a line like:

deb file:///directory/inside/schroot/ ./

I thought a Release file was required by apt? If I require using the above I
get the following when doing $(apt update):

E: The repository 'file:/home/josch/repository ./ Release' does not have a Release file.

So how does apt not require a Release file?

Thanks!

cheers, josch