[Piuparts-devel] removing NBS cruft from (old)stable/updates

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Thu Apr 4 12:01:39 BST 2019

Hi,

I'm sending this question to several teams since I'm not sure who is
reponsible for cleaning up cruft in (old)stable/updates - release team,
ftp-master and/or security team?

I'd like to request removal of cruft binary packages from
(old)stable/updates that are no longer built by the current versions of
their source packages in (old)stable/updates and as a result are no
longer installable.

Piuparts stomps upon them while testing (old)stable/updates:

https://piuparts.debian.org/stretch-security/dependency_error.html

firefox-esr-dev
lightning-l10n-bn-bd
lightning-l10n-pa-in
lightning-l10n-ta-lk
thunderbird-dev
thunderbird-l10n-bn-bd
thunderbird-l10n-pa-in
thunderbird-l10n-ta-lk

https://piuparts.debian.org/stretch-security/state-dependency-failed-testing.html

icedove-dev
icedove-l10n-bn-bd
icedove-l10n-pa-in
icedove-l10n-ta-lk
iceowl-l10n-bn-bd
iceowl-l10n-pa-in
iceowl-l10n-ta-lk
iceweasel-dev

https://piuparts.debian.org/jessie-security/dependency_error.html
https://piuparts.debian.org/jessie-security/state-dependency-failed-testing.html

oldstable/updates has the same cruft packages, just different versions.

These are -dev packages and translations that are no longer built by the
newer upstream versions of firefox/thunderbird in (old)stable/updates.

With the removal of src:debian-parl from stable in a previous point
release these packages should not have any rdepends left.

Note: I'm not talking about outdated packages where (old)stable has the
same or a newer version than (old)stable/updates, a version that came
into (old)stable via (old)stable-proposed-updates in a point release.
(piuparts skips binary packages that are superseded by a newer version
in a parent distro as "outdated".)