[Piuparts-devel] using piuparts for automated custom tests on an official host

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Mon Jan 28 21:41:02 GMT 2019

Hi Holger,

for several years I've been running cross-distro file-overwrite tests
locally and filing the resulting bugs ... perhaps it's time to automate
these things, expose them publically and have britney consume the results.

This uses dose and some scripts (based on work from Ralf Treinen) to
compute the candidates, and then runs piuparts with some generated
custom scripts to perform the actual tests. Reporting is currently in
terminal: for each candidate pair of packages list the type of failure
(overwrite, disappear, fail) and the direction ...

I don't think this warrants some fancy master-slave model, since the
amount of tests being performed is significantly lower than running
piuparts on sid (only sid!).

And what I recently tried as well: install packages depending on
something matching *emacs* along various combinations of emacs (and
xemacs) packages.

We would need some virtual host with some memory and cpu power, well
connected to a local mirror that can run a webserver (to serve logfiles
and summaries) and piuparts (just plain piuparts, no master, no slave) ...
Being allowed to run piuparts is probably equivalent to having local
root ...
Could we get this from DSA?