[Piuparts-devel] obsolete conffiles after stretch->buster upgrades

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Sun May 19 13:29:36 BST 2019

Dear Release Team,

we have been collecting with piuparts information about obsolete
conffiles that remain after dist-upgrades, but haven't acted (i.e.
filing bugs) on these issues so far.

The list for stretch -> buster is here:
https://piuparts.debian.org/stretch2buster/obsolete_conffiles_issue.html
(search for "OBSOLETE CONFFILE" in the logfiles).
I also attach an extracted (and filtered) list of the files.
Right now there are 511 obsolete conffiles left over by 274 packages.

While most of these files should be harmless, I'm concerned about a few
of them that might cause problems at some point in the future:

* /etc/bash_completion.d/*
  I remember RC bug #917217 where the ancient bash completion of npm was
breaking bash completion of other packages a few years later.
And I'm not sure what happens if a package has mismatching completions
in /etc and /usr - probably the wrong one is active at the end, not
knowing about all the new subcommands and options.

* /etc/apparmor.d/*
* /etc/sudoers.d/*
  security related cruft config

* /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/*
  does apt run cruft scripts every time?

* /etc/init.d/*
  potentially different behavior how daemons get started on freshly
installed vs. upgraded systems

* /etc/logrotate.d/*
  these are also known to cause problems, e.g. #925353

If you are concerned about some more files, please add them to this list.

The fixes should be easy in most cases:
debian/${pkg}.maintscript: rm_conffile /etc/${conffile} ${fixing_ver}~

Should we still attempt go get (some of) these (potential) issues fixed
for buster? Help with filing bugs would be appreciated ...