[Piuparts-devel] piuparts tries to remove fdisk 2.35.1-3, then fails

Chris Hofstaedtler zeha at debian.org
Mon May 11 18:26:26 BST 2020

Hi piuparts Maintainers!

I'm not quite sure what to do about this piuparts error, and would
like your input on it. Log:
  https://piuparts.debian.org/sid/fail/fdisk_2.35.1-3.log

| 0m20.1s ERROR: Command failed (status=100): ['chroot', '/srv/piuparts.debian.org/tmp/tmpeefoxtsu', 'apt-get', 'remove', 'libfdisk1:amd64', 'libncursesw6:amd64', 'fdisk']
|  Reading package lists...
|  Building dependency tree...
|  Reading state information...
|  The following packages will be REMOVED:
|    fdisk libfdisk1 libncursesw6
|  WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
|  This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
|    fdisk libfdisk1 (due to fdisk) libncursesw6 (due to fdisk)
|  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
|  E: Essential packages were removed and -y was used without --allow-remove-essential.

I don't really understand what piuparts tries to do here:
  - fdisk is Important: yes (but not Essential: yes)
  - piuparts tries to remove fdisk
  - apt complains about that

What am I missing?

Thanks,