New branches on git - not so secretive plot to directly use upstream's git repository
steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Jan 3 01:14:45 UTC 2013
much in line with my previous email to the list I have not pushed my local branches to the pkg-boinc git repository on alioth. This is what I did:
* clone Berkeley's BOINC git repository, master branch only
* rename master branch to 'upstream-master-direct'
* branch from there to 'upstream-master-clean'
* git rm all files that our export-boinc script would have excluded and commit
* git branch clean_with_debian, leave it for now
* create new orphan branch 'debian-folder-release' and copy the debian folder of our pkg-boinc/boinc.git master branch into it
* branch from it 'debian-folder-HEAD'
* change it to produce a working boinc-server-maker package again
* git checkout clean_with_debian
* git merge debian-folder-HEAD
* git remote add alioth git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-boinc/boinc.git
* git push --set-upstream alioth debian-folder-HEAD
* and analogously the other four branches
So, the pkg-boinc alioth repository now has the branches
$ git branch -r --list alioth*
alioth/clean_with_debian * new *
alioth/debian-folder-HEAD * new *
alioth/debian-folder-release * new *
alioth/upstream-master-cleaned * new *
alioth/upstream-master-direct * new *
The branch master is the equivalent of the branch clean_with_debian, just with the prior working for the release upstream versions and the clean_with_debian with the very latest of upstream. The first is created from a tarfile as one blob, the second is a regular git clone and - incrementally updateable.
For using those branches with an existing pkg-boinc/boinc.git checkout, one would perform the usual
git checkout -b clean_with_debian origin/clean_with_debian
git checkout -b debian-folder-HEAD origin/debian-folder-HEAD
to perform an update of the BOINC upstream sources, it would be
git remote add berkeley git://boinc.berkeley.edu/boinc.git
git checkout -b upstream-master-direct berkeley/master
git checkout -b upstream-master-cleaned alioth/upstream-master-cleaned
git merge upstream-master-direct
git checkout clean_with_debian
git merge upstream-master-cleaned
# perform changes on debian/*
git checkout debian-folder-HEAD
git stash pop
git commit -m "description" -a
# pushes to alioth of what has been changed
I personally feel that this is a good leap forward to smoothen our interaction with about everyone else.
Concerning Gianfranco's concern about his PPA builds demanding the branch from which to build featuring the name "master", I think it is just fine. to branch from upstream-master-direct/clean with a branch called master and merge debian-folder-release to it. Changes done to the debian-folder-release branch will just be merged to debian-folder-HEAD.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the pkg-boinc-devel