[Pkg-crosswire-devel] BibleTime 2.11.0 package ready for review
Roberto C. Sánchez
roberto at debian.org
Fri Oct 6 13:56:51 BST 2017
On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 12:01:14PM +0000, Teus Benschop wrote:
> Hi Roberto,
> Sorry about the mess I created in the bibletime repository.
> Thanks for all the explanations and clear steps to be taken to fix it all
> All steps have now been taken, and I've made notes of all points in a
> script, so I expect that next time things will work out better than they
> worked out now.
> I now have a better view of how to work with gbp, that helps a lot.
> The debian/2.11.0-1 tag was removed locally and remotely, and once the
> package has been reviewed and uploaded, I can tag it again to that
> Everything was pushed to the remote repository, yes, some --force was
> needed here and there - I didn't take an exact note of when to use force,
> but all looks clear now and clean.
> The package was build again, and also compared to the package I built
> yesterday, and they agree in all aspects, so I expect that the package is
> good now, it built without errors, and yesterday's package was tested on
> Debian sid GUI and today's package is the same.
> May I ask for your help to review the package?
Things were still not quite right. I forgot that Git on Alioth is
configured to reject non-fastforward pushes. As a result, the final
force push of master was rejected and it told you to pull first. That
pull resulted in a new merge of the upstream changes which my documented
steps for you were meant to discard.
I had to log in to the shell on Alioth, disable the configuration option
that rejects non-fastforward commits and push an update to master that
undoes the final merge commit you did.
Before when you pushed, the repository history looked like this:
* 4de6fea Merge branch 'master' of git+ssh://scm.alioth.debian.org/git/pkg-crosswire/bibletime
| * 27d7b39 Import Debian changes 2.11.0-1
| * b17dfe5 Fixes for unknown-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph and for binary-without-manpage lintian W's
[snip several commits from the old development line]
| * 428aece upstream 2.11.0
| * b67cfaa write test
| * 4b859b8 test write access
* | 51fae4d Fixes for unknown-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph and for binary-without-manpage lintian W's
* | 7083c04 Fixed: bibletime source: syntax-error-in-dep5-copyright line 61: Continuation line outside a paragraph (ma
* | 47d5310 Fix for missing manpage bibletime
* | eac6bf7 Fixed:bibletime: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/bibletime
* | 9d2d1c1 Fixed: debian-changelog-has-wrong-day-of-week 2017-10-04 is a Wednesday
* | 1525d94 Fixed: W: bibletime source: missing-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright gpl-2.0 (paragraph at line 10)
Now it looks like this:
* 51fae4d (HEAD, origin/master, origin/HEAD, master) Fixes for unknown-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph and for binary-without-manpage lintian W's
* 7083c04 Fixed: bibletime source: syntax-error-in-dep5-copyright line 61: Continuation line outside a paragraph (maybe line 60 should be " .").
* 47d5310 Fix for missing manpage bibletime
* eac6bf7 Fixed:bibletime: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/bibletime
* 9d2d1c1 Fixed: debian-changelog-has-wrong-day-of-week 2017-10-04 is a Wednesday
* 1525d94 Fixed: W: bibletime source: missing-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright gpl-2.0 (paragraph at line 10)
* ae2001a Fixed: bibletime source: unknown-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph at line 3
* 935a46c Add debian/bibletime.1 man page
* 19f94a5 Standards-Version: 4.1.1
* c582441 bibletime source: syntax-error-in-dep5-copyright line 30: Continuation line outside a paragraph (maybe line 29 should be " .").
* 02f374b Updated Build-Depends
* 2eac89b updated debian/changelog
* 6450fea debian/rules: override_dh_auto_test because the test rely on a display which is not there
* 9819215 debian/patches/series: remove already applied patches
* 94d5fb4 debian/control: updated Build-Depends, Uploaders
* a8ffd9a updated changelog
* 2524bee updated changelog
* 167d33d Updated debian/copyright
* 526e111 Make debian/copyright machine-readable
* 3f488d3 Updated version 2.11.0 from 'upstream/2.11.0'
| * 90d2181 (tag: upstream/2.11.0, origin/upstream, upstream) New upstream version 2.11.0
You will notice that the master reference points to 51fae4d instead of
the merge commit 4de6fea. I have effectively orphaned the merge commit
and its ancestors in the old line of development where you inadvertently
pulled the upstream changes into the master branch.
I did create a backup copy of the repository on Alioth prior to making
this change, so we can restore it if becomes necessary. To set your
repository back to where it matches what is on Alioth, please execute
echo 51fae4d11d6b75845daeeb19109ad6ff9ca88ff2 >.git/refs/heads/master
echo 51fae4d11d6b75845daeeb19109ad6ff9ca88ff2 >.git/refs/remotes/origin/master
You may want to make a backup of your local working copy in case
something goes wrong. Though, you can always create a new clone from
Note that those commands will change git's idea of where master and
origin/master actually point in your repository. After executing the
commands, run 'git --log --branches --oneline' and confirm that the
history looks like my history after the change that I made. If it does,
you should be able to 'git pull' and have git tell you that it is up to
Once that is done, please build and test the package once again and then
I will review it for upload.
Roberto C. Sánchez
More information about the Pkg-crosswire-devel