[Pkg-fonts-devel] Bug#439615: Debian/Testing, dangling links caused browser closing problems....

Whit Hansell skipper44 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 00:26:30 UTC 2007

Package: ttf-dejavu
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.19-1
Priority: optional
Section: x11
Maintainer: Debian Fonts Task Force 
<pkg-fonts-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 7307k
Depends: defoma
Description: Vera font family derivate with additional characters
  DejaVu provides an expanded version of the Vera font family aiming for 
  and broader Unicode coverage while retaining the original Vera style. 
  currently works towards conformance with the Multilingual European 
  (MES-1 and MES-2) for Unicode coverage. The DejaVu fonts provide 
serif, sans
  and monospaced variants.

  DejaVu fonts are intended for use on low-resolution devices (mainly 
  screens) but can be used in printing as well.

Tags: made-of::data:font, role::content:font, role::data

AMD Sempron, 1G mem,

Linux brightsun 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Mon Mar 26 16:39:10 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux


The Upgrading commands I use are: aptitude update -> aptitude 
dist-upgrade -> aptitude autoclean -> updatedb.

( I pretty much use aptitude for installs and such.  On occasion if I'm 
in a hurry I'll purge using synaptic and may d a reinstall right away to 
check to see if that would clear up a problem.  Sometimes it does.)

Had a problem w. the IceApe browser closing when I tried to scroll or 
even open some pages.  And it would not open a particular email sent 
from Earthlink but it turned out it was not Earthlinks problem. The 
sender used different fonts and probably the dangling font.

The two files that the IceApe maintainer found to be the 
problem(dangling links) are:




I have removed these two files/fonts from my system and everything is 
back working now.

On Tuesday, 08/22, I did my normal weekly dist-upgrade and don't 
remember having any problems after that but I don't remember what time 
of day I did the upgrade.  I also did another dist-upgrade the next day 
for some silly reason and don't remember experiencing any problems but 
after I did a third dist-upgrade of the week on Thurs. I started having 
problems, big time.  I would go to a site or clik on a page and the 
browser would close w. no warning and no error reported. It was a 
constant thing.

It was recommended that I do a debsums ttf-dejavu and it turned out OK.

It was also recommended that I send you this output from

brightsun:/# grep ttf-dejavu /var/log/dpkg.log
2007-08-23 00:08:17 upgrade ttf-dejavu 2.17-1 2.19-1
2007-08-23 00:08:17 status half-configured ttf-dejavu 2.17-1
2007-08-23 00:08:17 status unpacked ttf-dejavu 2.17-1
2007-08-23 00:08:17 status half-installed ttf-dejavu 2.17-1
2007-08-23 00:08:18 status half-installed ttf-dejavu 2.17-1
2007-08-23 00:08:18 status unpacked ttf-dejavu 2.19-1
2007-08-23 00:08:18 status unpacked ttf-dejavu 2.19-1
2007-08-23 00:08:37 status unpacked ttf-dejavu 2.19-1
2007-08-23 00:08:37 status unpacked ttf-dejavu 2.19-1
2007-08-23 00:08:37 status half-configured ttf-dejavu 2.19-1
2007-08-23 00:08:37 status installed ttf-dejavu 2.19-1

Hope this helps.  I don't understand the half-configured or the 
half-installed part at all.  The crazy thing is that on very rare 
occasion prior to upgrading.

Let me know if I can be of help.

More information about the Pkg-fonts-devel mailing list