Bug#974870: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev: Plans for Xlib API deprecation

Simon McVittie smcv at debian.org
Tue Nov 17 09:49:27 GMT 2020

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 at 22:50:05 +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> * Simon McVittie [Sun, Nov 15 2020, 11:51:25PM]:
> > However, it might be good to get the framework for this in place before
> > the Debian 11 freeze

I think this is actually more time-sensitive than I first thought, because
there has already been a 2.42 release of gdk-pixbuf without the xlib parts,
diverging from the usual 6-month GNOME cycle.

> I guess you will take the lead from here?
> Feel free to use this bug report as anchor.

I have a package for experimental currently compiling. When that gets
through NEW, we can look at how much time is left before freeze and decide
whether we want to advance to 2.42 (with the source package split) or stay
on 2.40 for bullseye (with the split binaries in a single source package).

> > Then we can do a mass-bug-filing for packages that actively use the -xlib
> > sub-library, and (perhaps later) a lower-severity mass-bug-filing for
> > packages that build-depend on libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev but should ideally
> > only B-D on libgdk-pixbuf-2.0-dev.
> XMAS time becoming a good candidate for a such rollout then?

If we want this change in bullseye, then I think Christmas would be too
late - this is arguably a transition, and as such we should either land
it well before the transition freeze or wait until bookworm.


More information about the pkg-gnome-maintainers mailing list