Bug#1149364: evolution: POP ... Error sending password: Broken pipe

Richard Betham richard at betham.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 17:58:36 BST 2026


Package: evolution
Version: 3.46.4-2+deb12u1
Severity: normal
X-Debbugs-Cc: richard at betham.org.uk

Dear Maintainer,


I started Evolution, and attempted to download my mail from another of my e-mail addresses, which uses server vps-unixweb2.totalhostingplus.com.

The status bar showed that it was fetching e-mail. I knew from experience that this meant that it was not fetching e-mail.

After a while the following message apeared at the top of the window: 

'Error while Fetching mail from “betham@”[DOMAINNAME].org.uk.

Unable to connect to POP server vps-unixweb2.totalhostingplus.com.
Error sending password: Broken pipe'

The e-mail was not downloaded.

I had hoped that my incoming e-mail would be downloaded.

I surmise that, maybe, the system does not cope with a certificate chain of more than 2 certificates.

I can fetch mail from the same server using getmail.
I can also get mail form the same server using my old Apple iPad Air.

My linux system, using Evolution works well with my main e-mail address, which is richard at betham.org.uk .




-- System Information:
Debian Release: 12.15
  APT prefers oldstable-security
  APT policy: (500, 'oldstable-security'), (500, 'oldstable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-53-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU threads; PREEMPT)
Kernel taint flags: TAINT_WARN
Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /usr/bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages evolution depends on:
ii  dbus [default-dbus-system-bus]  1.14.10-1~deb12u1
ii  evolution-common                3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  evolution-data-server           3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  libc6                           2.36-9+deb12u14
ii  libcamel-1.2-64                 3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  libecal-2.0-2                   3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  libedataserver-1.2-27           3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  libevolution                    3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  libglib2.0-0                    2.74.6-2+deb12u9
ii  libgtk-3-0                      3.24.38-2~deb12u3
ii  libical3                        3.0.16-1+b1
ii  libnotify4                      0.8.1-1
ii  libwebkit2gtk-4.1-0             2.50.6-1~deb12u2
ii  libxml2                         2.9.14+dfsg-1.3~deb12u6
ii  psmisc                          23.6-1

Versions of packages evolution recommends:
ii  evolution-plugin-bogofilter  3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  evolution-plugin-pstimport   3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  evolution-plugins            3.46.4-2+deb12u1
ii  yelp                         42.2-1+deb12u2

Versions of packages evolution suggests:
pn  evolution-ews                   <none>
pn  evolution-plugins-experimental  <none>
ii  gnupg                           2.2.40-1.1+deb12u2
ii  network-manager                 1.42.4-1+deb12u1

-- no debconf information


More information about the pkg-gnome-maintainers mailing list