binutils on mips*

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at
Mon Jan 9 11:17:56 UTC 2017

On lunes, 9 de enero de 2017 11:51:14 ART Julien Cristau wrote:
> On 01/08/2017 11:40 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > On 08.01.2017 14:29, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> >> Matthias: this bug is stopping a lot of packages from migrating and in
> >> doing so near the freeze is hurting many teams (and their users!) like
> >> the Qt/KDE one, so I'm planning to NMU it to the last working version.
> >> 
> >> Do we know which was the last version to properly work on mips*? Is there
> >> any drawback in going back to that version?
> >> 
> >> Of course if you have a better course of action suitable for a fast fix,
> >> I'll be glad to read it.
> > 
> > Please don't.  I'm fine to apply work arounds for port architectures, but
> > not for release architectures (I didn't decide on this status).  The
> > binutils update plan was announced last June [1], and I plan to stick to
> > it.  At least one of the mips toolchain maintainers (out of the five who
> > committed to in the architecture qualification process) seems to address
> > RC issues, and according to the upstream issue, there's work in progress.
> Work in progress is not enough.  This has been filed almost two months
> ago, and keeping an RC issue in the toolchain open for this long right
> around freeze time is irresponsible on your part, so please don't block
> others fixing it if you don't want to apply a workaround yourself.  (I'm
> also disappointed that none of the mips porters saw fit to get this
> fixed in sid sooner.)
> IMO this bug needs to be resolved this week, one way or another.

As just said on irc: sorry for doing the upload but your mail got into spam.

That being said we need a fix for this issue soon. It's also stopping other 
fixes to enter testing.

I understand that you don't decide which archs are or not release archs, but 
please do not stand on the way of other developers trying to do their work, 
specially when upstream themselves said that we should take one of the two 
proposed work arounds in the meantime.

Let me be clear: as long as we don't know if this bug is going to get solved 
on time we are wasting our time trying to fix other stuff, specially if the 
fix is not applied.


Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
URL: <>

More information about the pkg-kde-talk mailing list