virtual package "video-player"?
IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU)
umlaeute at debian.org
Mon Nov 13 18:59:28 UTC 2017
While looking into , i realized that there is no single
(virtual) package to install a desktop video player.
i'd like to suggest the introduction of such a package that should be
provided by any general purpose standalone desktop video player that is
capable of playing "any" video format (e.g. the thing that your average
desktop user can install and which will play their video collection).
here's a quick list of potential packages that should provide it:
- bangarang - Multimedia player with a lightweight interface for KDE
- dragonplayer - simple video player
- gmerlin - multiformat media player
- gst123 - GStreamer based command line media player
- kaffeine - versatile media player for KDE
- mplayer - movie player for Unix-like systems
- mpv - video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2
- parole - media player based on GStreamer framework
- totem - Simple media player for the GNOME desktop based on GStreamer
- vlc - multimedia player and streamer
- gxine - the xine video player, GTK+/Gnome user interface
- xine-console - the xine video player, user interface
- xine-ui - the xine video player, user interface
the list was assembled via a quick "apt-cache search", rather than
i'm mostly using vlc these days, so i don't know much about the quality
of most players in the list; so there might be some false positives;
also, it's not unlikely that i forgot your favourite player.
the list excludes specialized players (ser-player, aview) and expert
systems (xjadeo, melt) on purpose. for now, it also excludes various GUI
frontends to media-players like mplayer (assuming that having mplayer
installed is enough to play a file - either via cmdline or by
a good name might be "video-player" or "desktop-video-player" (i'd
favour the first).
what do you think?
if we can come to a consensus, i'd propose this on debian-devel.
oh, and while being there i was also thinking about a virtual package
"music-player" (for playing your music collection of OGG, MP3, FLAC,
WAV,... files). (i don't have a special need for that right now; it just
occured to me to be useful).
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 866 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the pkg-multimedia-maintainers