[pkg-php-pear] php-symfony2-yaml to php-symfony-yaml transition (was: Symfony^wSafety net)
dabe at deb.ymc.ch
Mon Sep 22 07:59:07 UTC 2014
opening a new thread for this.
On Sat, 2014-09-20 at 17:28 -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> > On Sat, 2014-09-20 at 11:43 -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> >> I may update some php-symfony-* packages in the mean time in case we’re
> >> not able to upload this one in time to be processed by ftp-masters until
> >> the freeze
> I’ve prepared php-symfony-classloader update on Git, and intend to
> prepare the six other php-symfony-* before uploading them all (letting
> some time to make changes or provide any other feedback in the mean
> time, or even better: upload the big symfony package and forget about
> these tiny packages for ever ;).
I want to give some input regarding php-symfony*-yaml - more precisely a
possible transition from php-symfony2-yaml to php-symfony-yaml.
Such a transition should have the following goals:
1. Get rid of the ancient Symfony 1 YAML component
2. Have a Symfony 2 YAML component with long term support from upstream
3. Keep the big src:symfony package currently being prepared in mind
There is nothing in sid, that needs such an old version of the YAML
* php-doctrine-orm (rec: php-symfony-yaml)
doctrine/orm actually needs symfony/yaml 2.1 or up.
Thus this "Recommends:" of Symfony 1 YAML is wrong anyhow.
* php-symfony-routing (sug: php-symfony-yaml)
symfony/routing in fact needs symfony/yaml from Symfony 2.
Thus this "Suggests:" of Symfony 1 YAML is wrong, too
Upstream's roadmap  lists the following support periods:
* Symfony 2.3.x is EOL 05/2017 (it's an LTS)
* Symfony 2.4.x is EOL 01/2015
* Symfony 2.5.x is EOL 07/2015
* Symfony 2.6 is unreleased, but will be EOL 01/2016
BTW: Currently found in sid are:
* php-symfony2-yaml (2.4.1-1)
* php-symfony-yaml (1.0.6-1)
Current version of src:symfony builds a:
* php-symfony-yaml (2.3.19+dfsg-1)
To sum this all up:
* The package php-symfony-yaml should be upgraded to 2.3.x
* The package php-symfony2-yaml should disappear
* The Debian version of php-symfony-yaml should less than 2.3.19+dfsg-1
I think the usual way  of providing an empty transitional package
'php-symfony2-yaml' from same source as 'php-symfony-yaml' will not
work, since: 2.3.x << 2.4.1-1
A possible alternative way doing this transition thus may be:
1. Upgrade php-symfony-yaml to 2.3.19-1~sid1 and let it
Conflicts: (+Breaks?, +Replaces:?) with php-symfony2-yaml
2. Update pkg pear-channels, since it currently provides an
override to 'php-symfony2-yaml' in file
3. Update/rebuild all packages (see below) depending on
php-symfony2-yaml to now depend on php-symfony-yaml.
4. Request a removal of php-symfony2-yaml from archives
Packages in sid currently using php-symfony2-yaml:
* php-aws-sdk (2.6.16-1)
* phpunit (3.7.28-1)
dep: php-symfony2-yaml (<= 2.99.99)
dep: php-symfony2-yaml (>= 2.0.0)
* phpunit-dbunit (1.3.1-1)
dep: php-symfony2-yaml (>= 2.1.0)
I have not much experience with such transitions at all and thus don't
feel like being destined to finally plan or coordinate it (but I like to
observe and learn from it).
Thus I'm leaving this to your experience (and keep eager to see how this
finally is solved ;-).
...and of course let me know if I can help out with something here.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 836 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
More information about the pkg-php-pear