[Pkg-puppet-devel] Bug#723188: Bug#723188: puppetmaster: Non-ASCII characters in manifests break catalogs

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen ssm at debian.org
Tue Sep 17 10:38:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:50:13AM +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> My site.pp is encoded in UTF-8, and it contains non-ASCII characters
> (French in comments).  Now the clients refuse to talk to it:
> root at smiragdine:~# puppet agent --test
> Info: Retrieving plugin
> Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: Could not parse for environment production: invalid byte sequence in US-ASCII at /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp:1 on node smiragdine.placard.fr.eu.org
> Warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
> Error: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run
> I had seen this behaviour previously, and I had managed to work
> around it by restarting puppetmaster while my locale was effectively
> fr_FR.utf8.  It may be related to the recent upgrade to 3.3.0 that
> this workaround no longer works; I can't pinpoint it directly, since
> I don't run puppet as a daemon (I rather trigger the pulls with a
> custom script).

If you are using plain "puppetmaster", try setting and exporting the
environment in the init script, or in /etc/default/puppetmaster

When using puppetmaster-passenger 3.3.0, I set "export LANG=C.UTF-8"
in /etc/apache2/envvars to make the puppet master handle my UTF-8
characters in manifests.

I think that "C.UTF-8" should probably be the default setting for
puppet master, "US-ASCII" is rather limited.


More information about the Pkg-puppet-devel mailing list