[DRE-maint] Upgrade bug related to libdevel-logger-ruby1.8 ?
ndrw_grn at yahoo.com.mx
Wed Jan 3 23:50:13 CET 2007
I've just experienced a conflict with a file provided by
I am running a Sid box which I use for Rails development. I have Rails
installed from a Debian package, and a few months ago I installed the
rubygems package (and libgems-ruby1.8) in order to get some extra gems.
Recently I upgraded a bunch of stuff in my system, and all of a sudden
my Rails apps stopped working.
I traced the problem to this file: /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/application.rb
Said file was being loaded by Rails instead of another file of the same
name that is part of all Rails applications
The contents of /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/application.rb were as follows:
Log = Devel::Logger
Application = Devel::Application
The file was provided by the package libdevel-logger-ruby1.8. When I
uninstalled that package, my Rails applications started working again.
As far as I can tell the package is no longer a part of unstable, and I
understand that its functionality is included in ruby 1.8. I don't know
why its presence on my system didn't cause problems before my recent
upgrade, but I would expect that an upgrade should automatically
eliminate it, and that it should be tagged as conflicting with Rails.
I don't know enough about the packaging system to make a more specific
suggestion... Just providing the info in case this is indeed a
Also note that I have installed a few extra gems with rubygems and have
a few non-official packages on my system (mostly multimedia stuff) which
potentially could make my situation different from that of a
plain-vanilla Sid installation.
Please let me know if I can provide any further info or do any tests
regarding this issue.
Many greeting and thanks to all for your great work,
Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y antispam ¡gratis!
Regístrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.com.mx/
More information about the Pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers