[Pkg-samba-maint] Target for squeeze: samba 3.4 or 3.5?

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Fri Mar 12 06:29:57 UTC 2010

Replying to myself and CC people who I see active in bug triaging in
Launchpad (Chuck, Thierry...)...thus assuming they probably have an
advice too.

I sent this mail in February to our packaging list:

Quoting Christian PERRIER (bubulle at debian.org):
> Samba 3.5.0 should be released by Feb 16th. That raises the question
> of what we want to have for Squeeze.
> Either we can stick with the now quite rock solid 3.4 versions or we
> can follow upstream and go with 3.5.
> The risk we're taking by going for 3.5 is freezing with a quite early
> minor release (say 3.5.0 or 3.5.1 or something) and then be stuck with
> it while upstream consolides 3.5.
> The risk we're taking by going for 3.4 is an early EOL in upstream
> release cycle.
> It seems to me that we'd better go for 3.5, with the main argument
> that Windows 7 support is likely to be a good driving force and it is
> likely that upstream improves it more in 3.5 than 3.4....

(Win7 is supported in 3.4)

> Also, given the quite conservative approach taken by upstream, I think
> we could quite easily spot the patches we can backport in the squeeze
> version after the release of squeeze. Also, with my experience of the
> Debian freeze schedules and the current status of the project, I feel
> like we're not likely to release before Summer 2010.
> So, at first glance, I would prefer going with 3.5. Steve, would that
> fit with Ubuntu release schedule, particularly for 10.04 (I never
> remember what funky name you guys decided to give to that one)?

Now I remember: Lucid. I still have to remind which funky animal, but eh...

Steve mentioned me on IRC an intent to talk with Ubuntu server team (is
there a mail address for this?). However, from my understanding, Lucid
is synced with testing *and* this is now done manually. So, the
influence of an upload of 3.5.* in unstable should have less influence
on Lucid release process, if I'm correct. I suppose that even now,
updates are cherry-picked from testing (and I suppose that you guys
want 3.4.7 in Lucid as 3.4.8 is planned for May 11th).

My personal opinion is that we should go for 3.5 in squeeze. Support
for 3.4 will be downgraded to "security only" on July 2010 or so
(maybe September), while I'm not sure we will even have release
squeeze by then.

I think that the work we're doing on samba has proven reliable enough
for the release team to easily allow us exceptions in case upstream
releases point releases of 3.5 while squeeze is frozen. So, indeed,
even if squeeze is frozen in the upcoming weeks, we won't be stuck to
a "too early" release (3.5.2 is planned for early April).

My intent would then be to let 3.4.7 enter testing (so that Ubuntu can
get it for Lucid is that's still time)....then upload 3.5.* in
unstable and maybe block it artificially for a while "just in case".

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-samba-maint/attachments/20100312/4e098725/attachment.pgp>

More information about the Pkg-samba-maint mailing list