[Pkg-samba-maint] Samba 4.0: Upload to unstable.

Ivo De Decker ivo.dedecker at ugent.be
Fri Sep 20 10:32:35 UTC 2013


On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:07:49AM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > Just curious, how is the 4.0 packaging going?  Are we ready for or
> > pending for unstable?
> We've got a package that moves most of the libs into the samba-libs
> package, but I haven't done much testing of it.
> Steve asked about splitting the samba-libs package on client/server
> lines. There is no obvious way to do such a split, but I haven't had
> time to prove that it can't be done.

Steve also mentioned that some of the hard-coded dependencies should be
generated automatically. This doesn't happen at this point. If they are
removed, the generated dependencies are too weak.

I think it's best to upload what we have now to experimental. It should be
better than the package currently in experimental (as the dependencies should
be correct now, while they aren't in the old package). The new version will
have to go through the new-queue again (because the samba-libs package is

I don't think the issues Steve mentioned should be blockers for an upload to
unstable, as they could be fixed later, if someone actually finds a way to do
it. This does not seem likely, however, as both Andrew and Jelmer expressed
doubt that this can be done at all (from an upstream point of view).

We probably shouldn't wait for certain changes, if there is no clear
indication that someone is working on them.

The main blockers for unstable (from my point of view) are:

- merge the changes that were done in unstable for samba 3.6 after the samba
  4.0 branch was split off (this shouldn't be hard)
- do some basic tests with the new package: it would be nice have at least
  some confirmation (apart from my own tests) that the packages are OK before
  they are uploaded to unstable.

Did I miss something here? Does anybody (dis)agree with this? Other proposals?



More information about the Pkg-samba-maint mailing list