[Pkg-shadow-devel] Bug#784596: [passwd]
bulb at ucw.cz
Wed Aug 19 10:36:34 UTC 2015
--- Please enter the report below this line. ---
Currently in my system none of the user accounts have subuids, because they
were created before subuid support was added, but a bunch of system accounts
do have them despite being really unlikely to ever need them.
So I think there are two changes to consider:
- Don't create subuids for system users (the 100-999 range) unless explicitly
requested. Or is this adduser issue?
It is not really interfering with anything, but it is unnecessarily using
up the subuid space and for reliability it is better to force the packages
that need them to ask for them explicitly.
- Create subuids for real users (the 1000-60000 range) that don't have them,
once during upgrade.
The users can add the subuids for them if they want, but:
- There does not seem to be a command to just “give me the default
subuid+subgid range”, so the user has to come up with the right magic
- This will lead to some tools just working on new installations and not
working on older installations that have been upgraded for some time, which
may lead to confusion and the reason may not be immediately obvious.
- Jan Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>
More information about the Pkg-shadow-devel