[Pkg-sysvinit-devel] Planning new upstream sysvinit release
pere at hungry.com
Sun Jul 12 18:21:04 UTC 2009
> I'm planning a new sysvinit release, based on the patches currently in
> use in Debian, SuSe and Fedora. This will make it easier to
> coordinate development between these three distributions.
I've made a new upstream release now. This is the changelog.
* Fix typos and do minor updates in the manual pages.
* Correct section of mountpoint(1).
* Document -e and -t options for telinit in init(8).
* Update address of FSF in the COPYRIGHT file.
* Document in halt(8) that -n might not disable all syncing.
Patch by Bill Nottingham and Fedora
* Adjust output from "last -x". In reboot lines, print endpoint
of uptime too. In shutdown lines print downtimes rather than
the time between downs. Fix typo in string compare in last.c.
Patch by Thomas Hood.
* Improve handling of IPv6 addresses in last. Patch from Fedora.
* Document last options in usage information, previously only
mentioned in the manual page.
* Add new option -F to last, to output full date string instead
of the short form provided by default. Patch from Olaf Dabrunz
* Adjust build rules to make sure the installed binaries
* Increase the compiler warning level when building.
* Fix utmp/wtmp updating on 64-bit platforms. Patch by Bill
Nottingham and Fedora.
* Avoid unchecked return value from malloc() in utmpdump.
Patch from Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann and Fedora.
* Make sure to use execle and no execl when passing environment to
the new process. Patch from RedHat.
* Correct init to make sure the waiting status is preserved across
re-exec. Patch from RedHat.
* Correct init to avoid race condition when starting programs during
boot. Patch from SuSe.
* Allow 'telinit u' in runlevels 0 and 6. Patch from Thomas Hood.
* Change install rules to make pidof an absolute symlink. Patch from
* Improve error message from init if fork() fail. Patch found in Suse.
* Add support for SE Linux capability handling. Patch from Manoj
Srivastava, adjusted to avoid aborting if SE policy was loaded in
the initrd with patch from Bill Nottingham and Fedora.
* Add -c option to pidof for only matching processes with the same
process root. Ignore -c when not running as root. Patch from
Thomas Woerner and Fedora.
* Adjust init to terminate argv0 with one 0 rather than two so that
process name can be one character longer. Patch by Kir Kolyshkin.
* Make sure bootlogd exit with non-error exit code when forking of
the child successfully.
* Add bootlogd option -s to make it possible to control the use of
fdatasync(). Patch from Thomas Hood.
* Add bootlogd option -c to tell it to create the log file if it does
not exist. Patch from Thomas Hood.
* Let bootlogd also look at ttyB* devices to work on HPPA. Patch
from Thomas Hood.
* Change init to use setenv() instead of putenv, make sure the PATH
value is usable on re-exec. Patch from Thomas Hood.
* Add usleep in killall5 after killing processes, to force the kernel
to reschedule. Patch from SuSe.
* Modify pidof to not print empty line if no pid was found.
* Modify init and sulogin to fix emergency mode's tty, making sure ^C
and ^Z work when booting with 'emergency' kernel option. Patch from
* Modify init to allow some time for failed opens to resolve themselves.
Patch from Bill Nottingham and Fedora.
* Modify init to shut down IDE, SCSI and SATA disks properly. Patches
from Sebastian Reichelt, Werner Fink and SuSe.
* Modify wall to use UT_LINESIZE from <utmp.h> instead of hardcoded
string lengths. Patch from SuSe.
* Change wall to make halt include hostname in output.
* Change killall to avoid killing init by mistake. Patch from SuSe.
* Change killall5 to use the exit value to report if it found any
processes to kill. Patch from Debian.
* Add option -o opmitpid to killall5, to make it possible to skip
some pids during shutdown. Based on patch from Colin Watson and
* Add references between killall5 and pidof manual pages. Patch from Debian.
* Modify killall to work better with user space file system, by
changing cwd to /proc when stopping and killing processes, and
avoiding stat() when the value isn't used. Also, lock process
pages in memory to avoid paging when user processes are stopped.
Patch from Debian and Goswin von Brederlow with changes by Kel
* Change shutdown to only accept flags -H and -P with the -h flag,
and document this requirement in the manual page.
* Change reboot/halt to work properly when used as a login shell.
Patch by Dale R. Worley and Fedora.
* Let sulogin fall back to the staticly linked /bin/sash if both roots
shell and /bin/sh fail to execute.
The new tarball is available from
<URL:https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=30786>. All patches from
Debian, SuSe and Fedora are not integrated yet. I focused on the
generic ones I quickly could understand in the limited time I spent on
I expect more patches to be integrated in the future releases. The
subversion three is
More information about the Pkg-sysvinit-devel