[Pki-clean-room-devel] what to work on next...

Elizabeth Ferdman gnudevliz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 01:00:13 UTC 2017

Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in my previous email, I started working on the TUI for
smartcard initialization and keytocard functonality but I'm not sure how
to actually implement that. I don't have the smartcard or reader yet--
Daniel said he may be able to get that sponsored for me so I haven't
gotten it yet so I can't test it. Is there any way to still test the
code without an actual card or reader (like an --expert option) ?

Looking over the Project wiki there's a bunch of other things that I
could look into other than working on the smartcard functionality since
I'm a little bit stuck on that.

1. Creating and Translating UI Strings
--As it is now I just have the strings hardcoded in the whiptail commands
so I can work on refactoring that but I'm not sure what's the best way
to do that in bash. I'm a native Russian speaker and I also speak French
so I could translate into those, ask other people if they want to
translate into other languages once I set it up correctly.

2. Look into another option besides live_build for the live disc

3. Subsequent Workflow -- Ask user if keys have been compromised
+ extend expiry of each key

4. Finishing Session -- copy third party keys to sign from other USB
flash... Neal also mentioned writing a script that could run on the
online computer.
How to detect/copy third party keys from a USB automatically?

5. Detecting the inserted drives-- the page from the Debian Installer
comes to mind "Partition Disks" that shows the hard drives and USBs
attached. It would be good to just use the source code from that.

6. Something else?

1.
https://wiki.debian.org/OpenPGP/CleanRoomLiveEnvironment

Let me know what you think. Thank you!