[Pki-clean-room-devel] spr332 vs spr532

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Thu Jan 19 14:18:56 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 06:09:20AM -0800, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> I'm interning for the PGP Clean Room and am trying to get an OpenPGP
> Card reader. Kernelconcepts is offering a SPR332 which is the successor
> to the 532. According to this page, though,
>
> https://wiki.gnupg.org/CardReader/PinpadInput
>
> the 532 seems to be recommended but the 332 is not. I'm wondering if
> there's a specific reason why it was left out and if I should go for the
> 532 instead.

Is the pin pad a requirement (I've certainly never used a GPG smartcard
with one, though I accept it's more secure overall)? It looks like a new
USB SCM reader can be obtained for under $20 from the US and my
understanding is these days they're reasonably well supported under
Linux.

EG: http:/www.ebay.com/itm/161419009450

J.

--
     Conscience is the fear of     |  .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux Developer
          getting caught.          | : :' :  Happy to accept PGP signed