[Pki-clean-room-devel] Introducing myself

Jacob Adams tookmund at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 03:17:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net>
wrote:

> Hi Jacob--
>
> thanks for your work in debian!
>
> On Thu 2018-01-11 20:05:33 -0500, Jacob Adams wrote:
> > I've disabled networking and made a couple other minor changes like
> > adding a gitignore. I also started on a python-newt interface but its
> > just a mock up for now; I still need to find a proper interface to GPG
> > from python. We have python3-gnupg but only the version in buster
> > supports gpg2.
>
> please do not use python3-gnupg.  it is one of several python "bindings"
> to GnuPG that are not well-supported and do not effectively track the
> underlying GnuPG toolchain.
>
> If you want to use GnuPG with python3, please use python3-gpg (for
> python2, use python-gpg).  These packages are built and shipped as part
> of gpgme, which is maintained by the GnuPG developers.

Will do. It definitely seemed like there were problems with python-gnupg
but it's the only thing that comes up when searching for python bindings
for GPG.
I had no idea python bindings for GPGME even existed!

> If you don't care about using GnuPG specifically, but instead want to
> operate an OpenPGP key via python, you might look into using
> python3-pgpy, which doesn't have a GnuPG dependency.

We already pull in GnuPG anyway so using python3-gpg is probably the
easiest way to go about it.

Thanks,
Jacob