[Pki-clean-room-devel] Entropy gathering

Jacob Adams tookmund at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:35:12 BST 2018

On 03/02/2018 02:15 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Hi Rebecca--
>
> On Thu 2018-03-01 22:42:05 +0000, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
>> I did that, and it took ~10min of random typing to generate 4xrsa4096,
>> at an explicit "We need to generate a lot of random bytes" GPG prompt,
>> so it appears to me that GPG does wait for entropy and hence this isn't
>> a security problem.
>
> This is not a security problem.  However, it *is* a usability problem
> for GnuPG.  GnuPG does not need to block for as long as it did here, and
> the fact that it's blocking for /dev/random indicates is a problem for
> the usability of pki-clean-room. :/
>
> I've just asked on gnupg-users at gnupg.org about any plans to move to the
> more modern interfaces described in random(4), which should hopefully
> address this usability concern.
>
>> (This was done in my stretch-based cleanroom described at
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2018/02/msg00012.html , which
>> unlike this repository's, does *not* include haveged.  My hardware has
>> RDRAND, but I don't know whether anything was using it.)
>
> I don't think you need to worry about the integrity of the key you
> generated with that setup.
>
> I *do* think we need to address the implications of this workflow for
> pki-clean-room, though.  It's already pretty tough to get started with
> anything like pki-clean-room.  if the user has to bang meaninglessly on
> a keyboard for ~10 minutes to use the thing in the first place, i
> believe that will turn people off.
>
> bad usability is bad security, because people simply won't use the
> security toolos have have bad usability in the first place.  They'll
> resort to whatever they were using before.

Apologies for digging up an old thread but this issue has become
relevant again as part of my Google Summer of Code project:

https://salsa.debian.org/tookmund-guest/pgpcr/issues/16

I've installed rng-tools5:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rng-tools5

But it requires newer hardware than than the minimum that I want the
program to support, and so doesn't solve the problem for everyone.

Havged seems like a good solution in theory, but seems to have some
issues in practice (see http://jakob.engbloms.se/archives/1374 or
https://crypto.stackexchange.com/a/8088 )

Are there any other approaches I've missed here to try and solve this
problem?

Thanks,
Jacob