[Popcon-developers] HTTP POST support and popcon

Petter Reinholdtsen pere@hungry.com
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:54:20 +0100

[Bill Allombert]
> Yes, but if the plan is to send the report both by smtp and http,
> this cause a 35% bandwidth increase.

Ah.  Right.  Well, as long as it isn't enabled by default, those
enabling it will know what they are doing.  It should be enough do
document this fact in the README or similar.

> I will let you handle that...

No problem.  It is not needed in the first version, so just go ahead
as planned. :)

> A last point: do we keep the Depends: m-t-a or we demote it to
> Recommends: ? I think we should keep it to Depends for the time
> being,but that will be annoying for some users. I will add it to the
> FAQ.

I say we keep the depend as it is for now, and change it when we know
the HTTP submission is working (and dynamically selected, perhaps?).

> A faster way to make things going would be to provide a second
> popcon package (say popularity-contest-http) that use http instead
> of smtp. This way people just need to install whatever packages they
> prefer and we don't bother people doing woody to sarge upgrade.

With the current NEW processing time, this is not a quick route.

Besides, I do not believe it is sensible to have two packages, when we
could provide a sensible default selection method instead.  If we are
able to connect to the popcon http server, we should use http.  If
not, we should use email.  No need to confuse users by asking which
method to use. :)