[Popcon-developers] Please review new description and question text

Bill Allombert allomber at math.u-bordeaux.fr
Wed Aug 2 08:33:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 10:09:36AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Bill Allombert]
> > So when the atime get actually updated ?
>
> Not entire sure, but I believe it will be updated when the kernel
> package is installed or when the initrd is updated?

Which means the ctime is modified at the same time, so package is
always considered as 'NEW'. This is not terribly useful and
certainly does not fix the bug.

> > If we do not know how to interpret the data, the data is useless.
>
> Well, with that argument, the vote/last use times can be removed
> completely from popcon, as it is very hard to know how to interpret
> the data.  Yet it has proven to be useful, so I believe it isn't
> useless.

We know how to interpret the data in a large scale. This is not the case
here.

> > This is a loss of privacy without any benefit.
>
> The sysadmin have already said yes to participate and submit this
> information to popcon.debian.org.

The sysadmin trust us to excerce some discernement. Reporting data
we have no clue what they might mean is not such.

> > This _is_ incorrect: if you install popularity-contest from Debian
> > on Debian Edu, it will report to Debian not to Skolelinux.
>
> That depend on the configuration.  If /etc/popularity-contest.conf
> include the URL to the Skolelinux collector, it will report there
> instead.

If you install the package from Debian, you get the Debian
configuration, not any other.

> > We should wait a week more. I have still ton of change to review.
>
> OK.
>
> > I am still disappointed you never ask my opinion _before_ commiting
> > a change.
>
> When I am in doubt, I submit my comments to the BTS, and hope you get
> those messages.  It seem to me the good place to store opinions and
> comments about changes to the package.  When I am not in doubt, I
> commit the chnages to CVS as it is very easy to undo changes there if
> I've made a mistake.  For major rewrites, I start a discussion on the
> popcon-devel mailing list, while I implement minor improvements right
> away.  I trust you to do the same, as I expect you to do your best and
> in general improve the package.

I am still disappointed.

Cheers,
Bill.